© Copyright CalCERTS, Inc. 2019
Below is an overview of the 2019 HERS requirements for Alterations to existing homes. A PDF copy of this chart can be downloaded at the bottom of the page. Included will be the forms used for verification and the exceptions to each test. For instructions on how to read this chart, please refer to the 2016 version.
There are a couple of modifications applicable to 2019 that were not applicable in 2016.
1. Watt draw targets have changed to include modified targets for gas furnaces and small duct high velocity systems.
2. Airflow for small duct high velocity systems is greater than or equal to 250 cfm/ton.
3. Equipment or ducting in garage spaces requires ensuring no smoke emanates from any portion of the system in the garage.
Exceptions to Duct Sealing Verification
Exceptions do not apply to Entirely New or Replacement Space Conditioning Systems (Cut-In).
- The system is not ducted (e.g., ductless mini-split, wall units, etc.).
- There are less than 40 feet of ducts total in any space including plenums and the FAU.
- The ducts are constructed, insulated, or sealed with asbestos.
- The system was previously tested by a HERS Rater and that HERS Verification Certificate is available. Exception does not apply if more than 40 feet of ducts have been added or replaced since the original verification. It does apply to systems passed as part of a sample group.
Exceptions to the Refrigerant Charge Verification
- Air conditioning not installed or determined to be non-operational by the local code enforcement agency.
- New package units with factory charge certified by installer on the CF2R-MCH-25. Minimum airflow must still be verified for ducted systems.
Exceptions to System Airflow and Fan Efficacy Verification
- The system is not ducted.
- The system does not have air conditioning.
- VRF (variable refrigerant flow) systems driving multiple indoor coils.