© Copyright CalCERTS, Inc. 2019
Code Cycle: 2019 Non-Residential Standards
Reference: CalCERTS Non-Residential Training Manual Chapter 5, Section 2
Form: NRCV-MCH-32 (Local Mechanical Exhaust)
Kitchen range hood fans are now required to be verified by a HERS rater. Kitchen range hood fans that exhaust more than 400 cfm at their minimum speed are exempt from this requirement. Kitchen range hood fans are required to discharge the exhaust airflow to the outside. Re-circulation range hood types are not allowed.
The new verification protocol requires comparing the installed model to ratings in the HVI directory of certified ventilation products https://hvi.org/proddirectory/index.cfm to confirm the model is rated by HVI to comply with the following requirements:
- The minimum ventilation airflow rate as specified in Section 5 of ASHRAE 62.2.
- The maximum sound rating as specified in Section 7.2 of ASHRAE 62.2.
Demand-Controlled Local Ventilation Kitchen Exhaust:
- Demand-controlled kitchen exhaust fans shall be rated for sound at a maximum of 3 sones at one or more settings greater than or equal to 100 cfm.
- Remotely located air-moving equipment (mounted outside of habitable spaces) are exempt from the sound requirements provided there is at least four feet of ductwork between the fan and the interior grille.
Continuous Local Ventilation Kitchen Exhaust:
- These fans shall be rated for sound at a maximum of 1.0 sone.
Note: HERS verification of high-rise residential Kitchen Hoods is a visual verification and does not require diagnostic testing.
NRCV-MCH-32 Local Mechanical Exhaust – Kitchen Range Hoods:
The installer must provide information for Kitchen Exhaust Systems, to identify each exhaust system/fan in the dwelling unit that will require HERS verification. The required information includes, but is not limited to, the following auto-filled forms:
- Dwelling Unit Name.
- Building Type.
- Total Kitchen Floor Area.
- Kitchen Average Ceiling Height.
- Kitchen Total Conditioned Floor Area (auto calculated).
- Kitchen type: enclosed or non-enclosed.
The HERS Rater must verify the Kitchen Exhaust System details:
- Manufacturer Name.
- System type: vented range hood, downdraft, or other.
- HVI Directory Listed Model Number.
- HVI Directory Listed Rated Airflow.
- HVI Directory Listed Sound Rating.
- Minimum Airflow (if different than rated).
- Operation Schedule (demand control or continuous).
- Required Minimum Ventilation Rate (automatically calculated).
- Maximum Sound Rating (automatically calculated).
- Compliance Statement (pass/fail automatically calculated).