Sampling is a way to reduce repetitive HERS testing and CF-3R creation by "grouping" similar dwellings together. Rather than test every single in the group, a HERS Rater takes a "sample" of the group; if the sampled dwelling passes its tests, the other grouped dwellings pass by association.
Click on any image to view a larger version in a new tab.
- Login to www.CalCERTS.com.
- Go into one of the projects you would like to sample. Click on Projects on the left-side menu, then choose Alterations or New Construction. Follow this tutorial if you need help finding your project.
- Click the dark green Sample hexagon at the top of the screen.
- Select the type of sample groups you wish to create. Most users create Closed Groups of up to 7 dwellings. There are also Open Groups of up to 5 dwellings, which allow users to add additional units (up to 180 days since the first CF-2R was signed) to the group even after CF-3Rs have been reported.
Click the NEXT button to continue.
- Any dwellings available for sampling or in sample groups will appear on the next page. Click on the S icon to add the dwelling to a group or edit the sample group for that dwelling.
Every dwelling in a sample group must have the same:
- HERS-tested measures, i.e. CF-3R tests
- Installer/Builder for the Mechanical forms
Every dwelling eligible to sample must also have:
- A fully-tested model unit for its plan (multi-orientation projects only)
- Been self-tested by the installer
- All mechanical CF-2R forms must be submitted and signed
- Click next to the dwellings you would like to place into the same sample group. Dwellings with a will be included in the sample group; any dwellings other dwellings will not be in the group. The dwelling you chose on the previous page is included in the group by default; notice the uneditable YES.
While editing an existing sample group, changing a to a will remove it from the group. You can only do this while no CF-3Rs are submitted for the group.
Click at the bottom-right of the screen when the sample group is ready. Be sure the total number of dwellings with YES is not higher than your chosen group size.
- Review your sample group choices. This would be a good time to double-check your addresses and tested dwellings - be sure at least one of the dwellings in the sample group was HERS-tested! Click to create the sample group.